Thursday, June 01, 2006

Gorgeous MC Run Today

7 Paladins. 8 Bosses. 3 Hours. 0 Wipes. 1 Portal/Summon chain to get an Aqual Quintessence to put out the last rune.

(Yeah, we're noobs. :) )

I didn't get any loot but it was a ton of fun. The raid leader apparently decided that we were good enough, and started chain pulling like crazy. I don't think I was out of combat at all for the first 20 minutes. I only died once, I think, on Gehennas where I took a 3k Shadowbolt fairly early. I don't think I've ever survived that fight, for some reason. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

I ran around with my [Earthshaker] for the first half, and it was a great deal of fun. Too bad everything in MC is immune to stuns. Though now that I think about it, this could have been really bad during Lucifron when I was Mind Controlled ([Earthshaker] has an AoE stun proc). I'll have to remember that for next time.

The more I run with this guild, the more I feel that paladins meleeing is the best way to go for an Alliance raid. If our paladins had all been standing back and spamming Flash of Light, I think it would have gone much slower and not nearly as cleanly.

Also, a random thought about damage meters. I think an absolute ranking is misleading. For example, in today's raid, the #1 guy had slightly more than 5% of the total damage, and the #10 guy had slightly less than 5%. With such a small spread like that, position is very misleading. I think a much better metric would be % of the #1 person's damage. Someone being position #15 isn't that much of a problem if she's doing 90% of the top person's damage, but it is potentially an issue if she's doing 40%.

But then again, I don't think this guild cares too much about damage meters. As long as we're killing everything, life is good.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Coriel that Paladins should be meleeing. However, many Paladins either...

    1. Lack the self control to stop attacking when his/her teammates need help.

    2. Lack the vigilance to notice that his/her teammates need help in the first place.

    Many people think playing a Paladin is EZmode. However I completely disagree. Playing a hybrid right requires more than just focusing on 1 speciality. Paladins who are not up to the challenge deserve their heal/cleanse-bot role imo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing. I don't think you need to focus all that much on doing damage to still be effective. We're not rogues who need to punch buttons constantly.

    Run in, judge, Seal. That's usually all the attention you need to put into damage. Then you can just cleanse and heal as needed. You don't need to stop attacking to help your team.

    Sure, you may only be doing 80% of the damage you could be doing, but it's good enough.

    ReplyDelete